Admissions Requirements

I am going to be a senior in high school this coming year, and I am looking to attend ATP. Is it require for you to have an Associates Degree, or can you start directly out of high school?

Hi Greg and welcome!

Finally a REALLY easy question! (Thanks) and the answer is no you do not need a degree to attend ATP. In fact you don’t even need a degree to fly for a Regional Airline. BUT, if you want to eventually fly the “heavy metal” for a Major (and you should cause that’s when you get to see the World AND GET PAID WELL!) you will need that degree. Now this is where I get a little preachy. You’re in school and still in learning mode so the transition to college is generally much easier so it’s something you should consider (maybe a college that has a aviation program?). BUT, if you’re classroomed out (which I understand, my son is too) and want to start flying then have at it. Just keep in mind that at some point you’re going to want that degree. Online, part-time whatever. Cool?

Adam

1 Like

Awesome! Thanks for a quick response, I am looking to start flying as soon as possible, and while I’m doing CFI etc. get a degree online so that I have it for down the road once I have lots of hours built up. Any Suggestions on an ATP location? I’m from New Hampshire and i’m not bias towards any specific area, although I’d like to fly year round…

Hello Greg, we have made some very recent changes to our Admissions Requirements. The associates degree is required, or you can enter with a Private Pilot license. Please visit Enrollment under the Career Pilot Program.

Eric

Greg,

I’m so terribly sorry for giving you misinformation. I wasn’t aware of the change but def not the end of the world. You can either bang out an AA or get your Private locally, whichever you think would work best for you?

As for location it’s totally your call. The training is standardized at all locations so you’ll receive the same quality at any of them. Comes down to priorities? Maybe you’d like to be closer to home, maybe you’d like a change of scenery? Keep in mind during your cross-countries you’ll be sent out all over so you’ll get exposure to a variety of conditions so no need to worry about that. Also the school you do your training at doesn’t have to be the school you eventually instruct at so you can mix it up a bit. The best location is the location that works best for Greg.

Again really sorry, guess that wasn’t an easy question?

Adam

1 Like

So to get this right you must have a college degree? Or come in with your private pilots license? I am 29 have been working on my private pilots which I only have around 5 hours, do not have a college degree but was wanting to get my pilots license through ATP to eventually fly at a major airline. Or is that even possible?

No, you do not need a degree, but there are some requirements which can be found here: https://atpflightschool.com/airline-career-pilot-program/enrollment.html and are:

Associate’s Degree, or
60+ college credit hours, or
equivalent work experience, or
military experience
US Citizenship (or Permanent Resident)
FAA First Class Medical Certificate

You should contact ATP’s admissions department to see if you meet any of those criteria. As to flying for a major airline, you will need to get a degree before you are eligible to be hired by a major. However, for a regional airline you do not need a degree. Many pilots get hired by the regionals and then finish their degrees before applying to the majors.

1 Like

Hello there,

How about someone who’s currently preparing his GED? or high school diploma? And dont have any college degree or anything equivalent to that. So what are your suggestions? i mean what shall i do before i start applying or coming to ATP? Beside that, I am currently living in Minnesota and I am not citizen in USA but I am soon to be a resident and waiting my green-card in two weeks, So do you have office in Minnesota?
I love to be a pilot and i dream about it every single night, tell me something i wanna hear.

Thank you.
Anas

Hi Anas,

Not sure I can tell you what you want to hear, at least not now. First off to attend ATP you need a degree OR comparable work experience and I’m not sure if you have that? Second in order to do flight training in the US as a non-US citizen you have to complete a very extensive background check. For more info on that you can check here: https://www.aopa.org/advocacy/pilots/alien-flight-training-program/aliens-and-non-us-citizens-seeking-flight-training
Next no ATP doesn’t have a location in MN, but I’m sure there are other flight schools in your area.

If flying is really your dream I suggest you continue your education and then start the background check process.

Adam

Hi Adam,

Well thanks for the info. Oh too bad. No I do not have degree or experience. About the degree, is it necessary to study pilot specifically? Or i can go for any? And about the degree, is it only required in ATP? Or all the flight schools are same? When you’re saying “continue your education” did you mean start your degree?
thanks, i appreciate the help, Adam.

Anas

Anas,

The degree can be in anything. The idea is that ATP (and the airlines) want to see a level of commitment and discipline to demonstrate you’re up to the task before they take your money. No, most flight schools don’t require a degree (they’re happy to take your money) but know that again if you aspire to have a career as a pilot you’re going to need one.

When I say continue your education yes I mean work on a degree.

Adam

Adam,

I appreciate the help, thank you. One last request, what degree would you recommend a 27 years old man? and thanks for your effort.

Anas

Anas,

That really is a personal choice. As I said the airlines don’t care they just want to see the degree. Study something you enjoy and find interesting.

Adam

Thomas,

The admissions department can tell you exactly what they are looking for, but generally a copy of your transcripts will suffice. No need to take the framed degree off the wall :slight_smile:

Thomas,

As Chris said admissions will tell you exactly what you need and your instructor will make copies, have you sign forms, all the admin stuff day 1.

Adam

Hi, my name is Noah Itterman and I was just wondering if ATP excepts CLEP test credits. If so that is great news because clep testing will save me a lot of money.

No. The two years of college requirement is more about experience and maturity than it is about passing tests. Take the CLEP exams, go to college and then flight training. You will most likely end up wanting to have a college degree anyways.

Chris

Thank you very much