Real Answers from Real Pilots

Additional career

Do you think it’s possible to have another career on top of flying for an airline? Since pilots can be home up to half the month. For instance being an accountant or owning a business. Thanks

Tyler,

Many pilots have second jobs. Real estate seems to be a popular choice, but I have heard it all. It is usually hard to really do these things in the beginning, but as your seniority improves, so does your ability to schedule such things.

I have to say though that as pilot salaries have increased, I see less and less of this. It is usually more lucrative for a pilot to simply work another day of work, then to spend that doing doing something else.

Chris

Tyler,

As Chris said, I know many pilots who own businesses or have other careers. The irony of it is in most cases it’s difficult to do early on as your seniority is low and you have little control over your schedule. As you gain seniority it becomes much easier but then you’re making much more money so you may not feel the need to.

Adam

U think I could be a dentist and a pilot?

I think it would be very hard to build a practice and a following with limited days off in the beginning of your career. And what happens when you get extended out a day and are not able to make it back on time? Talk about ticked off patients.

Tyler,

If you can wait 10-20yrs then sure.

Adam

Tyler,

A dentist that flies his own plane? Sure. A dentist that flies for an airline? Not likely.

Tory