Real Answers from Real Pilots

A Week is the Life of a ATP CFI

(Tucker) #1

This week has been pretty busy. With checkrides, solos, and students new to instrument training, I have no shortage of work. I would say this is a pretty typical week.

I flew 29 hours, was paid for 32. I spent aproxamilty 54 hours at the school.

• I currently have two students in the instrument phase, one in the private phase, and a fourth student that just finished instrument and is off on crew cross countries. I am also working with another instructors student while he is out of town this week.
  • With daylight savings causing sunrise in Florida to fall back from 7:45 to 6:45, it has made for some very early mornings.

Monday (2.5 Hours Logged, paid for 5.5… We are paid for our students solo time as we have to be on the ground monitoring them. Most of us use this time to provide ground instruction.)

Schedule
-Arrived 9:30am
-9:30am - 10am - Warmed up solo student.
-10am - 1pm - Student soloed. Taught instrument ground lesson.
-1:30pm - 5pm - Instrument flight lesson
-5pm-7pm - Instrument simulator lesson
Home 7:30pm

Tuesday (8.0 Hours Logged)

Schedule
-Arrived at 6:15am for preflight brief
-6:45am - 9:45am Private cross country flight lesson
-10:30am - 12:30pm - Instrument flight lesson
-1:30pm - 3:30pm - Instrument flight lesson
-4pm - 5:30pm - Private checkride prep flight
-6pm - 7pm - Private pilot simulator lesson
Home 7:30pm

Wednesday (7.3 Hours Logged)

Schedule
-Arrived at 6:15am for preflight brief
-6:45am - 9:45am Private cross country
-10am - 11:30am - Instrument ground lesson
-11:30am - 1:30pm - Instrument flight lesson
-2pm - 4pm - Instrument flight lesson
Home 4:30pm

Thursday (5.4 Hours Logged)

Schedule
-Arrived at 6:15 for preflight brief
-6:45am-9am Private checkride prep flight
-9:15am - 10am Weekly instructor meeting
-10:30am-12:30pm Solo cross country ground
-12:30pm-2:30pm Instrument cross country flight
-3:30pm-5:30pm Instrument cross country flight
Home 6pm

Friday (5.8 Hours Logged)

Schedual

-Arrived at 6:15 for preflight brief
-6:45-8:45am Instrument flight lesson
-9:45 - 1:15 Instrument flight lesson
Home 1:45pm

(Kyle) #2

Nice, Tucker!

I haven’t had a week that looks quite like that yet, but I’m only about a month and a half into instructing and have started off with two private SE students so far. Plus, sunset here in the Seattle area has dropped to about 4:30 since the end of DST last week, so we’re getting shorter on daylight time. But I am picking up a student who just finished crew and is starting Comm ME, so I’m pretty excited to get back into the Seminole!

(Tucker) #3

It comes and goes! The private guys can be quite a bit of work, but the multi is some of my favorite training to do! I’m sure you’ll have your share of slow weeks, they come and go. Being busy can be a bit stressful but it is also very rewarding!

(Sergey Kireyev) #4

Those “private guys” can be a pain in the rear.

Here’s a perfect illustration of a first week ‘0 hour student” vs. same student a few days before the checkride…

(Michael Taft) #5

@Tucker @Kpounder
Thanks for the insight guys.

@forourspam

All too funny, but so true. I remember being a nervous wreck for my Private Check Ride. After surviving my Instrument Checkride I feel Commercial should be a breeze. CFI on the other hand there might be some pressure, lol.