A pilots advice

Hello, these questions are directed at any airline pilot. I have a few questions for you:

Out of curiosity, which aircraft did you fly?

What was your rank? E.G.: First Officer (Curiosity again)

What did you do/where did you go to learn how to fly?

What were the flight hours needed to even be considered by one of the airlines?

In the current rank that you are, what was your role (basically what did you do other than you know, fly the plane)?

How long was the training?

How much did everything cost?

How old did you have to be to (once again) be considered by an airline?

Did you have to break your back to at least get a call/interview?

How do you calculate your V-Speeds (the internet never helps…)?

I have a significant amount of questions about procedures in the cockpit etc, so I won’t ask you any more of those types of questions, so instead is there a pilots handbook (or something of the sort) that you can refer me to so I can really see how things go?

Did you live in America (or anywhere else other than the airlines origin country) before getting hired? If so, did you have to move?

Did you still have to go to college after getting out of flight school?

How much did your flight school cost?

Can you name a good flight school to consider? (Good value of my money, or cheap with good teachers)

How many years or what degree (if needed) did you need in college to be considered by airlines?

What did you major in? (If college is needed)

Who did you fly for?

Any aeronautical colleges you can refer me to (or any college that I can get my aeronautical degree while not completely destroying my parents and I’s bank account)?

What should I do, what steps should I take to become a pilot like you were? Should I join the airforce or something before I start shooting for airlines?

That’s all I have for you.

Daequan,

This doesn’t really look like you’re seeking advice but conducting a survey? I recommend you read the mentors bios (https://airlinepilot.life/c/pilot-coach-biographies) and then visit the FAQs (https://airlinepilot.life/c/Ask-your-questions-and-get-real-answers-from-real-pilots/frequently-asked-questions) as that will answer the majority of your questions. After that if you have any specific questions please feel free.

Adam

Ok. I’ve read everything, let me try again.
Is it possible to attend ATP or a regional airline and attend college at the same time, or would I be too busy learning and flying that I wouldn’t have enough time?

Daequan,

You could not attend ATP and college at the same time. ATP is an accelerated full time training program. However AFTER you complete your training, build your required hours and get hired by a Regional airline you could then complete your education. You should know however ATP requires you to have either your Private Pilot license, a 2yr degree or equivalent work experience to attend.

Adam

Daequan,

It is not possible to attend ATP while working or being enrolled in college. ATP is a very intense program and your studies and performance will suffer greatly if you attempt this.

While working at a regional airline, you will likely have time to finish a college degree online, it takes hard work, but many before you have done exactly this.

Chris

So ATP is meant to get a pilot’s career started, correct? Meaning there’s no point if I already got hired by a regional?

Daequan,

Please re-read the FAQ section as I think you are missing some of the fundamentals on how to become a pilot. ATP is a flight school, you need to learn how to fly, get all of your ratings and then build 1,500 hours of flight time before you can apply to the regionals. ATP serves the purposes of teaching you how to fly and helping you get your licenses and ratings.

Chris

Alright, so let’s say I received my bachelors and my 1st Class Medical before attending ATP. Would it make sense to do get everything before attend? Also will it be a straight shot? What I’m saying is I’ll be able to attend ATP, receive the benefits/ratings/certificates, apply for a regional, and after accumulating the required hours,go to a major and there won’t be any restrictions throughout this whole timeline?

Or would it make more sense to get my 1st Class Medical, my associates degree, attend ATP, go to a regional, continue my education until bachelors and then go to a major?

Daequan,

Again, you really need to read the FAQs as ALL this is explained but here goes… First there is no “straight shot” to anything:

1. You need to get trained and earn your licenses and ratings (btw ATP REQUIRES at least a 2yr or equivalent work experience)

2. AFTER you complete your training you need to build 1500hrs. This is usually accomplished by flight instructing and takes about 2yrs. (ATP offers Instructor jobs to their successful students).

3. You get hired by a Regional. Pretty easy these days as long as you successfully complete your training and build you time.

4. Major airlines want a 4 yr degree. If you have it great, if not while you’re flying for a Regional you need to complete it. Obviously waiting will get you to a Regional quicker but also is more challenging while you’re working. Beyond that it’s a matter of building experience, contacts and your resume. There are zero guarantees you’ll make it to a Major. It’s almost like being drafted by a Major League ball team. Some make it, some don’t.

Adam

I apologize to both you and Chris, I’ve read the FAQ many times and unless I’ve been zoning out while reading without realizing, what I’ve read wasn’t answering my questions. So I started looking for direct answers.
Anyways, thank you for answering my questions.

I do have a follow up question though: Why do these 1500 hours take two years? If I’m not mistaken 1500hrs equal two months. So mathematically, I should be done by maximum one year. So why does the completion of the 1500 hours equal 12x the amount of time required? (Or 2x the amount of time I should be finished)

Daequan,

It’s 1500 hours of FLIGHT TIME. The average instructor builds approximately 75hrs each month. You’ll complete your flight training with about 250hrs. 1500-250=1250. 1250/75 = 16.6 months which about a year and a half plus the time training. Cool?

Adam

Yes, cool. Also I want to make a point that I want to make a sincere apology for the frustration I put you through today. All my questions have been answered and I know what I’ll be doing with myself once I graduate. Thank you.

Daequan,

No apology necessary EVER. If anything we probably owe you one. For many of us this is what we’ve been doing (or researching) for a long time and often make assumptions which is our mistake, not yours. None of this information is intuitive and you simply don’t know what you don’t know. We only ask you do a little reading first because there’s a good chance the questions you’re asking have been asked before. That said please don’t let us scare you off. If you have a question and don’t see the answer feel free to ask. If the answer’s unclear ask again. It’s all good.

Oh and if you find yourself “zoning” out while you’re reading take a break (or a nap) then come back again when you’re better rested :slight_smile:

Adam

Hi Adam I’m cindy I’m only 16 about to do my a levels and I was thinking if becoming my a pilot I wanted to become a petrochemical engineer before but I’ve always been interested in flying and my cousin is a pilot but I’ve always thought the fact that I’m a female and and on top of that African American would decrease my chances. I also don’t know much about it if the success rate of actually Fetish g a job after graduating flight school and completing your 1500 hours Is high?

Getting a job*

Cindy,

When I hear words like “levels” and “petrochemical” I have to assume you’re not here in the US but you do say you’re African American so perhaps I’m wrong? If you are living elsewhere unfortunately I can’t speak intelligently on the aviation environment outside the US. If you’re here what I can tell you is neither being African American nor a being woman would be a hindrance to your career. That and there is an worldwide pilot shortage and people who are successful in their training are having no trouble getting hired by the Regional airlines.

At 16 the best thing you can do is continue your education and earn a degree and then pursue flight training after.

Adam

Adam,
You are a patient man. Reading this brings me right back to that confidence post.
I’m pretty good at flying model airplanes and helicopters and also a quick learner do think
that would let me just bypass the regionals and go straight to the majors? I am 42 so I don’t have time to be a regional pilot.

Definitely Bryan! Just call the Major of your choice and tell them Adam sent you.

Patient man? Did you read the “Confidence” post? :wink:

Adam

Yes I read the confidence post. Your patience is in responding to all the types of how fast, how much and I’m a quick learner types everyday.
I just called TWA and dropped your name got hired over the phone and now it looks as I will most likely be flying the 747 on domestic flights being that I have vast experience with Xplane sim. :joy:
Thanks again keep up the good work.

Congrats have fun and post lots of pics!

Adam