757 and 767

Hey guys!

Pilots are usually only qualified to fly one type of aircraft at a time, right? I was wondering why the 757/767 pilots are different? Is it just because they are extremely similar or what?

Also, if my memory serves me right the B757 is not longer being produced. Minus FedEx, I also don’t hear a ton of orders for the B767 either (probs bc of the 787/777-x). Do you guys see the B767 staying a major player in the next 20 years? I know Boeing is considering changing one of their new 737 Max planes so it is similar to the 757. In your opinion, do you think the A321-Neo will just take over the market or do you think the 737 Max will replace it?

I love learning about all the new aircraft that I could potentially be flying in the future? Just for fun, what are your guys’ favorite aircraft?

Thanks!

Cameron,

Yes, typically pilots are only qualified to fly one type of airplane at a time because they are all so different from each other. The 757 and 767 are notable exceptions to this, the reason being that the cockpit layouts and aircraft systems are almost identical between the two airplanes. It is very easy to switch back and forth between the two airplanes.

Both the 757 and 767 are beginning to slowly disappear and will eventually be replaced by newer aircraft. The 737 Max and the A321 Neo are strong competitors to replace the 757 and the 787 is the likely competitor to replace the 767. I think that both the 737 Max and A321-Neo will both be strong competitors and both have their own followings.

My favorite airplane to fly so far has been the 757. It is by far the best designed airplane I have been on and has the best handling characteristics. Also, our 757s are equipped with the Royals Royce RB 211 engine which is a real power horse engine.

I will be interested to see what Adam says as he is an Airbus guy.

Cameron,

I agree with Chris. Here at Hawaiian we’re slowly phasing out the 767’s and are awaiting the arrival of our 321 Neo’s as well as the 330 Neo’s. That said I have to be honest, while the A330 I fly is a very capable (fast, powerful and efficient), state of the art aircraft, I’m really not a fan of the joystick and the whole fly by wire system in general. While I appreciate this is the way all airplanes will be designed in the future and includes a host of redundancies that make for a very safe airplane, you get virtually no response or feel from the controls. Maybe I’m just old school but I like to feel what my airplane is doing and I also like to see what the other guy is doing and you get neither. I’ve been flying the Bus for almost a year and I’ve gotten “used” to it. It actually flies very extremely well, it auto-trims and coordinates all the flight controls so when you turn there’s no need to increase pitch or add rudder. It’s got very cushy and forgiving gear that makes us all look really good when we land. It basically does most of the things we pilots used to work really hard at trying to perfect and hone our skills and frankly I miss it. Guess I’ll have to go rent a Cherokee or a 172 for fun?

Adam

3 Likes

Chris,

In my Aircraft Systems class, I got the pleasure of writing a group paper on the 757. More specifically, the hydraulic system of that bird. Man, is that aircraft designed beautifully and with plenty of redundancies. If you lose complete control of the primary flight controls, you’re having an EXTREMELY bad day…

Adam,

Not to knock on Airbus, I’m just not educated on their systems… Also, I’m biased :wink:

Yuran

Yuran,

I really enjoyed flying the 757, it has great performance and is just downright fun to fly.

Chris

1 Like

Yuran,

Knock away, I didn’t build it. Btw did they explain why the gears on backwards on the 767? :slight_smile:

Adam

Adam,

Luckily, I only had write about the 757, BUT I would that it looks silly haha Though, I’m only required to learn how the landing gear works and that it utilizes hydraulics :grin:

Yuran