57 YO Too late?

Hi. I’m 57 yo. Have a associate’s degree in aerospace technology. Have 100 hours flight time (student pilot) from 30 years ago (logbook was lost - can’t be recreated). Degree in comp sci, currently working in construction. Would like to know if it’s too late to fly jets professionally, and what are the age cutoffs for all the different parts? Am I too late? Even with the pilot shortage?
Thanks

1 Like

Kevin,

We discuss this in the FAQ section but you are a little late to the game. If you start today the soonest you’d be hirable with the 1500hr rule is in about 2yrs. So now you’re 59-60. Mandatory retirement is 65. That gives you 5 years as a Regional pilot. They are desperate so you could definitely get hired. The question is it worth it to invest the time, money and sacrifice to fly for 5yrs and that’s a question only you can answer.

Adam

1 Like

At 57, i would not invest close to $100k to maybe have a few years at a regional at low pay.

1 Like

Julia,

As I said the decision is Kevin’s. I agree about the lack of return on his investment but you’re mistaken about his “small chance” of being hired. His chances are actually excellent.

Adam

3 Likes

Kevin,

With 5 years at the most at a regional, you’ll barely break even, but I have a feeling it’s not about that for you.

The mandatory retirement age at the airlines is 65. There are no retirement age restrictions for part 135 or part 91 operations that I know of.

So, I guess it’s up to you to decide what you want to get out of it? You can spend the money and do the work required to fly for a regional or decide that maybe flying for fun is enough for you.

Tory

1 Like

Thank you all for your thoughts. I have alot of soul searching to do. Do you think I’d accumulate enough jet time to go charter afterwards? I’ve heard that people with 6000 hours are barely getting a glance. Is that true?. If I got the 37 hour monthly guarantee I’m looking at 2200 hours by the time I’m forced out. Can you fly more than 37 hours a month?

Andreas- a kit plane is on my bucket list. Do u need to be an engineer or hold an a&p to build one? Would you recommend a particular kit?
If anybody is around long island sometime and feels like getting lunch or dinner let me know. Or someone to help fill the gas tank :wink:

2 Likes

Kevin,

Not sure where you got the 37hr guarantee from. Most Regionals min guarantee is around 75. Regardless the problem is even with 75+ a month when you hit 65 so will a whole bunch of other 65yo’s who have been flying for 20, 30 or 40yrs with tens of thousands of hours. If you were hiring who would you take?

As for kitplanes no you don’t need to be an engineer or an A&P. I started one a few years back (never finished). You really just have to document your work (incl pics and a very detailed log) so the FAA can verify the work.

Adam

1 Like

Hi Adam.
I was thinking the same thing about the competition, but didnt want to ask the question. I was afraid I knew the answer already.
Guess I’m too late to the party. :frowning:
The sad thing is I live on a downwind leg of one airport, and work on a final approach to another. At night when I leave work I sit on a bench and watch the private jets come in low one after the other, and wish I was behind the flight controls.
Theres something breathtakingly beautiful about a banking jet I cant describe.

2 Likes

Kevin believe me I understand and really don’t want to rain on your parade. I stand by the above BUT there’s always the X factor. If you live that close to the airport why not spend some QT hanging and networking? While again experience is very important, you meet some owner you bond with you never know? Trust me stranger things have happened. I had a friend who did just that. Made friends with some rich guy, next thing you know he was paying for the guys helicopter transition so he could fly his Bell 206.

Adam

2 Likes

Brandon,

The age limit is set by federal law, it will not be changing anytime soon.

Chris

1 Like

So now I have 39, there is too late for me too??

David,

No one said 39 was too late. Where did you get that from? https://airlinepilot.life/t/am-i-too-old-to-be-an-airline-pilot/8062/2

Tory

Just asking if 39 is too late to start this pilot career

David,

PLEASE reference the FAQ link Tory posted but sorry answer I started when I was 39. That was 16yrs ago when things were quiet and the airlines weren’t hiring everyone with a pulse. I’m now a Capt at a Major airline. You should get there faster if you work hard.

Adam

1 Like

Thank you!!