46 Year Old Newcomer

David here. I’m your typical “dreamer” and since I can remember, have always wanted to become a pilot; but allowed life to get in the way. Upon receiving an Honorable Discharge from the U.S. Air Force, and not having the search engines and internet available that we have now, I found myself needing a job “right now” to take care of my growing family. So now, here I am, 20 years later, getting ready to retire from the Pennsylvania Department of Corrections… And I STILL want to fly, and want to do it professionally. With less than 20 years to go before a commercial pilot’s mandatory retirement date, I was wondering. Is it possible to have a fulfilling and successful career as an instructor?

FYI, I’m starting from scratch with no experience.

David,

Please check out the FAQ section as there is a detailed post there that address your very question.

The short answer is yes, but you need to have realistic expectations.

Chris

David,

https://airlinepilot.life/t/am-i-too-old-to-be-an-airline-pilot/8062/2

Absolutely. And then some. Why limit yourself to teaching? You could have 15 years at the airlines if you so choose.

Tory

1 Like

Thanks for the link Chris! Couldn’t find that in my initial browse. And Tory, while I would LOVE to become an airline pilot, I’m just trying to keep those expectations that Chris was talking about at a range where I would never be disappointed. I just want to fly and would be happy if I could make a career out of lifting off the ground. Period. Anything better than that would be gravy. Thanks again!

Realistic expectations are good. Just wanted you to know that you don’t have to dismiss the possibility. It’s well within your reach if you act quickly. Nothing wrong with wanting to teach.

Tory

I love teaching. Was an instructor in the Air Force and with the DOC… But this is my time. I can now afford the training and have the time to learn. I want to FLY! :wink: If I can regionally or internationally? GREAT! but if not, I will still be extremely happy instructing, as long as I can get in the air!

1 Like

David, I’m approaching 50 and am looking at the 12 or so years I’d be able to fly commercially and still considering making the leap. Financially, it can work. If you are physically able to get and keep a Class 1 physical, don’t mind the initial (considerable) expense, and going back into a high-stress training environment - then Aim High. You can always stop short and instruct for a living or some other aviation career along the way if you change your mind. Cheering you on - GOOD LUCK! :metal: :metal: :metal:

1 Like