41 yr old looking for career change

Adam,
Were you 39 when you went to ATP or 39 when you got on with a regional? I’ll hit 39 next year and have my Commercial w/ IR, but I haven’t flown for quiet a few years. The wife is encouraging me to get back in it and has even pushed me to move south (we live in Ohio) for a few months to get my instructor ratings and build my time. I think I still have a chance to get on with a good regional, but time is not on my side so I need to bust my tail. I already spoke with ATP and since I have most of my ratings they said there is nothing they can do for me. But I was curious about your age and when you started vs when you got on with a regional.

Corey,

I started training with ATP when I was 39. That said it doesn’t seem like you’ve been following what’s going on in the industry these days. I started at 39 but back then it was VERY difficult to get an interview let alone get hired. There was no shortage of pilots, salaries were silly low and it was incredibly competitive. My most common statement to anyone interested in the profession was “the are no guarantees”. Due to a number of factors this industry has flipped on its ear. There’s a worldwide pilot shortage, salaries have tripled and if you have the ratings, time and a clean record, you WILL get hired and you’ll have YOUR pick of airlines. If you doubt any of what I’m saying call any of the Regional recruiters.

You don’t mention how much time you have but the sooner you can hit 1500 the sooner you’ll be building seniority.

Adam

Thanks for the quick reply. All my previous training was 141 and I’m at 300 hours currently so I have a long way to go. Thanks for the info and the encouragement!