41 yr old looking for career change

Hello Everyone,

I’m 41 years old, I’ve been in the financial services industry since I’m 18 and I’m just tired of the ups and downs. Aviation has always been an interest of mine but never had the time to pursue it. I’m really considering changing career paths but have no degree and no flight time. Is it too late for me to start? I can continue to do what I’m doing while I train to become a pilot but I will also have to get a 4yr degree. Can I get a degree online? If so does anyone have any suggestions? Or am I too late to the party? I look forward to hearing your responses.

1 Like

Hi Jano,

Regarding age: Is age 40 to old to start?

Regarding online degree: Airline Pilot Bachelor's Degree

Jano,

I recommend you spend some time reading some posts as your questions come up often, particularly the FAQ section. That said while things are very good right now, aviation has always been very cyclic. If you’re simply looking for more stability flying might not be it.

Adam

Thank you for your quick responses, I will continue to read these threads as they are very useful.

So based on what I’ve read I think the best way to pursue this would be to get the flight training… get a job with a regional and while I’m building my hours at a regional, I can do the online thing to get a degree. It’s going to take me a few years to build up my hours to get hired at a major if that is the route I decide to take. Few questions… is ATP the best flight school to go to? There is a location near me if so. Please advise.

Jano,

If you look at the top left of the page you’ll clearly see the ATP logo. This forum was createdby ATP and all the mentors did their (our) training there so obviously we’re partial. That said we’re not salesmen we just found after a great deal of research that ATP was in fact the best route for us.

I started at 39 and that was one of the key factors in my decision. Starting later in life you don’t have time to waste and there’s simply no faster route. Additional ATP has been training pilots for the airlines for over 30yrs and has placed over 500 pilots in the last 12mos alone.

As always I encourage you to do some research on your own and make your own decision. Unless you don’t want to be bothered, then yes, just go to ATP :wink:

Btw, you don’t mention any flight experience and no being a passenger doesn’t count. If you haven’t it’s imperative that you do. ATP won’t even take your money if you haven’t.

Adam

1 Like

Thank you Adam for responding, lol I didn’t even put 2 and 2 together with the ATP thing… I’m a little confused with your last statement… I do not have any flight experience at all I took Aviation in HS but never flew the plane. What would you suggest in terms of getting some flight experience before engaging ATP?

Jano,

Not sure the confusion and I don’t mean to be rude but are you seriously considering quitting your job, investing years and tens of thousands if dollars without ever having gone up with your hands on the controls? Would you commit yourself to a life of only eating chicken having never tried it ever? I love watching football but watching a game from the stands is very different than being on the defense line. What if you hate it? What ifit makes you ill? While many people have an affection or interest in flying until you’ve tried it you simply don’t know.

With that in mind ATP has a great intro flight program but if there’s no ATP near you just go down to your local flight school and take a flight. Chances are you’ll love it but if you don’t better you know before you dive into the deep end.

Adam

Jano,

This forum is sponsored by ATP and all of the mentors on here went to ATP. That being said, we volunteer our time on here in part because we did well at the school and believe in the program they offer. But not every school is perfect for every potential student. I recommend that you take a look at a post called “Questions for any prospective flight school” in the FAQ section as it will help you know what to look for and what to ask when comparing various flight schools.

Chris

Jano,

You take an introductory lesson at any ATP location, or just about any other flight school. An intro lesson is a great way to see how you really feel about flying an airplane for a living.

Chris

Thank you guys, I didn’t plan on quitting my job. I can do my job with a phone and a computer. I don’t necessarily need to be in my office. So I didn’t really plan on walking away from this anytime soon. I do agree with you though that I should take the introductory flight lesson to make sure I’m even comfortable at the controls in the air. There is an ATP location near me so I will look into taking that introductory lesson sooner than later. Thanks again for all the insight!! When enrolled at ATP what is a typical day like?

Jano,

A typical day is 8-5, but that may vary due to weather or the need to fly at night. There really is no typical day though as the program varies greatly as it runs its course. Some days are all ground school, some are all simulator work and of course involve one or more flights, it really just depends on where you are in the process.

I would encourage you against trying to work in any capacity while you are an ATP student. The program is a highly condensed program and either your flight training or your business work will suffer, there is really no way to stay on top of both.

Chris

I didn’t realize how intense it could be. I have a young child and my wife is a stay at home mom. Without being able to work/earn in some capacity there is no way I would be able to move forward on this path. I appreciate the honesty and am now wondering if there is anyway I can make this work. Thanks again for your response.

Jano,

You need to understand ATP takes what other flight schools do in 1.5-4yrs and accelerates it to 9mos. The program is designed to prepare you for actual airline training which is as least if not more accelerated. There are of course other flight schools out there that would allow you to continue working but you need to take your age into consideration. At 41, training part-time it could take you 5yrs or more just to earn your ratings and build the required 1500hrs to be hired by a Regional. That could mean the difference between you ever making it to a Major or not which translates to many hundreds of thousands in lost earnings.

Obviously you have to do what’s best for you and your family but if you’re serious about a career change in this direction it’s not something you can do casually.

Adam

Hi Adam my name is Tim whetstone and I’m thinking about becoming a pilot I am doing a discovery flight on Monday. I was wondering what is the best process.

Timothy,

Spend some time on the FAQ section as a lot of your questions will be answered there. After that, we will be happy to help answer specific questions.

Chris

Where do I post them at.

I meant “spend” some time in the FAQ section. You don’t post questions there, you read answers.

1 Like

Timothy,

Read this stuff: https://airlinepilot.life/c/Ask-your-questions-and-get-real-answers-from-real-pilots/frequently-asked-questions and if you have specific questions post them in the appropriate category on the forum.

Tory

Ok