1,500 hours and lifestyle

I am wondering about how long it may take a student to reach 1,500 training hours. I understand everyone will be different. I am interested in hearing peoples experience with reaching this number.

On a different note, I plan on being 20-30 minutes away from the training site. Will the commuting time become difficult on the student? Also, will I be able to have a part time or contingent job on the side?

I ask these questions in an attempt to have a financial plan in order during my time at the school.

I appreciate all feedback.

-MI

3 Likes

Matthew,

As you said times will vary and hopefully some current/former students will chime in with their experiences but the average seems to be approx between 1-1.5yrs after completion of the program (based on the average of 70hrs mos).

Closer of course is better but 20-30min isn’t terrible. When I was instructing it was an hour each way and many students come from further.

The work question comes up very often and the answer is always the same. It’s highly DISCOURAGED. ATPs program compresses what most schools take 2 yrs to accomplish into 9mos. The training is extremely accelerated and requires your complete dedication. That said this is America and you can do as like. It’s your $70,000 to gamble with. Struggle, bust checkrides or show up unprepared and you’ll be asked to leave not to mention the impact failed checkrides may have on the rest of your career. Some have tried to work and have failed miserably. Again your call.

Adam

1 Like

What is your opinion of even finding a job that I can do for a few hours on weekends? Weekends will be spent, at least a for a few hours studying. I like the idea of money still coming in to support myself. Thank you Adam for your feedback.

Matthew,

I honestly don’t believe I could’ve been any clearer in my answer.

Adam

1 Like

Fair enough Adam. Then you recommend coming to school with money to support this lifestyle. Thanks for answering.

-MI

Matthew,

Even though the program is designed to include weekends off, it is not a guarantee. The weekends are used to play catch up and/or prepare for check rides (as needed). Students that have tried to work during the program were not as successful. No one will tell you that you can’t, but we all strongly discourage it.

Tory

I was under the impression that weekends were off automatically. That’s why I was persistent on utilizing that time efficiently. Thank you for the heads up.

-MI

1 Like

Mathew,

I would recommend saving money just as you suggested, but know that you can also borrow extra money for living expenses when you apply for the loan. Up to you.

Tory

Matthew,

The average student takes about two years to get their 1,500 hours.

That commute sounds reasonable to me.

It would be absolutely impossible to have a part time job while flight instructing. Being a CFI requires flexibility, you are dealing with weather, maintenance issues, student’s needs, etc. If you were to work on the side, your performance as a CFI would suffer greatly.

Chris

Matthew,

If you like the idea of earning extra money, I would suggest simply flying more for ATP on the weekends. You would be accomplishing your goals of building flight time and earning more at the same time.

Chris

4 Likes